New mental health group sessions (July)
June 22, 2020
Exclusive course for CWC PCN patients.
We understand it is challenging at the best of times to find mental health supports you can trust – and wait times can be frustrating.
To help address this issue, we are pleased to offer a mental health course exclusively for your patients, in partnership with the Canadian Mental Health Association - Calgary Region (CMHA Calgary).
In addition to strengthening relationships skills, reducing isolation and finding a voice, group sessions are especially valuable for individuals dealing with depression, social anxiety and life transitions.
The upcoming July course: Confront the Discomfort, has room for 20 patients, will run weekly for three weeks, and starts in July.
At Confront the Discomfort, (offered virtually due to COVID-19) patients will learn to:
- Identify causes and symptoms of anxiety
- Understand how the pandemic is impacting their anxiety
- Recognize and respond (not react) to anxiety warning signs
- Take small steps to break the cycle of anxiety-producing thoughts, beliefs, and behaviours
This course is offered exclusively for CWC PCN members’ patients at no cost to patients or members.
The course includes three virtual sessions, held weekly on:
- Monday, July 13 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Monday, July 20 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Monday, July 27 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Do not delay in referring if you have patients that would benefit from this course.
- Aged 18 and over with mild mental health concerns
- Comfortable in a group setting
- Can commit to attending all three scheduled group sessions
- Have access to internet and a smart device
*Participation in group sessions can be used in conjunction with one-on-one supports available through the CWC PCN and third parties.
CWC PCN members and our clinical team members – the Patient Care Team, and Clinical Program teams – can all refer patients.
To refer patients:
- Ensure the patient meets eligibility criteria (above)
- Gain verbal consent for us (CWC PCN) to share the patient’s name, phone number and email with CMHA (for course registration purposes)
- Complete and fax the referral form (to the fax number on the form)
- Referrals are required for this course
- Due to COVID-19, the course is offered virtually using Zoom
- Once a patient has been confirmed as one of the 20 participants, they will receive a link and password to the Zoom meetings via email
The CWC PCN is committed to providing members with resources to improve access to mental health services, and we are offering exclusive access to this course to evaluate its effectiveness.
This CMHA group session offering is a complement to in-clinic and individual mental health support programs and services, such as Mental Health Assist, BHCs, and the CCC pilot program.
Depending on course popularity with physician members, there may be more CMHA courses offered through the CWC PCN in future.
We are always open to hearing feedback – please do not hesitate to let us know your thoughts.
Your feedback informs future partnerships and programs.
About CMHA Calgary
CMHA Calgary’s mission is to be a leader in reducing the impact of mental illness and addiction in the community.
For more than 65 years, they have provided a person and family centered service model focused on early intervention and prevention of a mental health or substance-use concern.
CMHA courses are structured and proven:
- Curriculum design based on contemporary learning theory and includes input from qualified educators
- Each course is designed to achieve specific objectives
- Courses are led by recovery trainers, who are trained in education, social services/health services, and group facilitation
- All trainers are certified in Applied Suicide Intervention Skills and Non-violent Crisis Intervention
Return to News